- ESIP’s Data Management Short Course for Scientists
- DataONE’s Best Practices for Information Management Primer
- Search DataONE’s Information Management Best Practices Database (compiled by informatics professionals)
- Training Modules with exercises by DataONE for instructors to incorporate into their lectures
- NEON’s Data Skills Tutorials (Many R tutorials are found here)
- “Ecology Workshop” lessons by the Carpentries.
- Programming with R and Python lessons by the Carpentries.
- DMP Tool to help scientists write Data Management Plans for US Funding Agencies
- GCE Data Toolbox for Matlab: This “comprehensive software framework for metadata-based analysis, quality control, transformation and management of ecological data sets” is especially useful for managing streaming data.
- CRESCYNT blog post on Data Cleaning Tools
- Best Practices For Preparing Environmental Data Sets to Archive
(Les A. Hook, Suresh K. Santhana Vannan, Tammy W. Beaty, Robert B. Cook, and Bruce E. Wilson, September 2010, Oak Ridge National Labs)
- Excellent tips for how to structure data for archive
- Ten Commandments for Good Data Management (from Dynamic Ecology blog)
- Ten Simple Rules for Creating a Good Data Management Plan
(Michener W.K. 2015. PLoS Comput Biol 11(10): e1004525.)