Data Management Best Practices & Training Materials and Tools
- Best Practices for Information Management Primer
- DMP Tool to help scientists write Data Management Plans for US Funding Agencies
- DataONE’s Information Management Best Practices Database
- Training Modules with exercises by DataONE for instructors to incorporate into their lectures
- DataONE skill building hub (resources for better data management)
Resources from LTER
- GCE Data Toolbox for Matlab: This “comprehensive software framework for metadata-based analysis, quality control, transformation and management of ecological data sets” is especially useful for managing streaming data.
- Zotero Best Practices for LTER Sites for organizing a listing of works produced by your research group such as journal articles and others.
Information Management Code Registry (IMCR)
The IMCR Cluster supports the development and population of the Information Management Code Registry (IMCR). The IMCR contains software useful for information management tasks commonly encountered in the earth and environmental sciences and is a hub for code sharing, collaboration, and development. The code registry is implemented in OntoSoft and regular community discussions and resources are listed on the cluster’s wiki site: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/IM_Code_Registry. More information is available here.
Good Reads on Data Management
- CRESCYNT blog post on Data Cleaning Tools
- Best Practices For Preparing Environmental Data Sets to Archive
(Les A. Hook, Suresh K. Santhana Vannan, Tammy W. Beaty, Robert B. Cook, and Bruce E. Wilson, September 2010, Oak Ridge National Labs)
- Excellent tips for how to structure data for archive
- Ten Commandments for Good Data Management (from Dynamic Ecology blog)
- Ten Simple Rules for Creating a Good Data Management Plan
(Michener W.K. 2015. PLoS Comput Biol 11(10): e1004525.)