Limited Travel Support:
Information Managers from the LTER, MSB, OBFS, and LTREB communities may apply for funds to attend meetings, training courses, hack-a-thons, working group meetings on data management related topics or to establish other information management-related activities that strive to increase the contribution of data from their respective communities into a publicly-accessible and long-term data archive, such as the EDI Repository. These activities may directly or indirectly support the data archive goals of EDI. Examples include:
- Participating in an EDI sponsored Metadata Generation Event that will directly result in data being archived;
- Presenting an information management talk or poster at a nationally recognized meeting or organizing an information management working session that disseminates information to help researchers connect with tools or resources needed to prepare data for archive; or
- Visiting a colleague at another institution to learn how they apply their in-house information management skills to archive data from their project.
- Meeting of a working group on data management related topics (for example “LTER Vocabulary Working Group”).
Applicants should use the Individual EDI Travel Support Application (below) and submit directly to Dr. Corinna Gries (email@example.com). Applicants will need to justify all requested support and provide a preliminary budget estimate for travel related expenditures. Support may be full or partial based on need. Priority will be given to applications that:
- Show complementary support from other sources (i.e., request partial funding only);
- Show the travel will directly lead to a product (number of datasets archived, workshop white paper, presentation, tangible improvement of local IM processes, etc.)
- Propose travel to the annual ESIP summer meeting (timeline for application will be published)
Successful applicants may be asked to submit a brief report to EDI at the conclusion of their travel.
EDI Travel applications will be decided by a review panel. Funding is not guaranteed. All EDI travel support will be provided through the University of Wisconsin at the time of booking or via reimbursement.