Please register and obtain connection information for our next webinars with the links provided about one week before the event in the list of VTCs below.
- December 4, 2018 at 2 PM ET: “Converting community survey data packages into the ecocomDP data model format” (Colin Smith, University of Wisconsin-Madison/EDI and Margaret O’Brien, UCSB/EDI).
- December 18, 2018 at 2 PM ET: “Introduction to some tools for creating taxonomic coverages in metadata.” Speakers: Margaret O’Brien (UCSB/EDI), Colin Smith (UW-Madison/EDI), John Porter (University of Virginia).
- DATE TO BE DETERMINED, 2 PM ET: “EML 2.2: An overview of new features” Speakers: Margaret O’Brien (UCSB/EDI).
- DATE TO BE DETERMINED, 2 PM ET: “Database tables to store annotation metadata for EML 2.2.” Speakers: Margaret O’Brien (UCSB/EDI).
- DATE TO BE DETERMINED, 2 PM ET: “Using PASTA+ event subscriptions” Speakers: Mark Servilla (UNM/EDI).
- DATE TO BE DETERMINED, 2 PM ET: “New functions supporting ISO 8601 datetimes” Speakers: Colin Smith (UW/EDI).
Meeting and Conference Contributions
AGU Fall Meeting (10-14 December 2018, Washington, DC)
- IN24B-03: Facilitating and Improving Environmental Research Data Repository Interoperabiliy. C. Smit, C. Gries, A. Budden, C. Laney, M. O’Brien, M. Servilla, W. Sheldon, K. Vanderbilt, D. Vieglais (11 December 2018, 4.30PM, presentation)
- IN31B-02: Facilitating data discovery on the Internet using sitemaps.org and schema.org dataset metadata through the Environmental Data Initiative Data Portal. M. Servilla, J. Brunt, D. Costa, C. Gries, S. Grossman-Clarke, P. Hanson, M. O’Brien, C. Smith, K. Vanderbilt, R. Waide (12 December 2018, 8:04AM, eLightning talk)
- PA32C-03: Research is more valuable when its data are published. M. O’Brien, C. Gries, C. Smith, K. Vanderbilt (12 December 2018, 10:27AM, eLightning talk).
- B41L-2896: Measurement Ontologies: The Field of Dreams for Essential Biodiversity Variables. M. O’Brien, R. Miller, M. Schildhauer (13 December 2018, 8:00AM, poster).
- IN41E-0882: The Environmental Data Initiative’s Approach to Data Publishing Training for Research Teams. S. Grossman-Clarke, K. Vanderbilt, C. Smith, C. Gries, O’Brien, M. Servilla, D. Costa (13 December 2018, 8:00AM, poster).
- EDI’s C. Gries is Convener at the Session IN41A: FAIR Data Is Not Enough: Communicating Data Quality and Making Analytical Code FAIR I. (13 December 2018, 8:00AM-10AM) and Session IN43C: FAIR Data Is Not Enough: Communicating Data Quality and Making Analytical Code FAIR Posters. (13 December 2018, 13:40AM-18AM).
AGU Data Help Desk
If you’re attending the AGU 2018 meeting in December, please stop by the Data Help Desk with your data questions or to just say hello! EDI, in collaboration with AGU, ESIP, Arctic Data Center, and DataONE, organized the Data Help Desk to provide scientists with opportunities to meet with informatics experts and learn about tools and techniques to make their data open and FAIR. Informaticians from throughout the environmental science community will be staffing the Data Help Desk. Many workshops with data themes will be offered in conjunction with the Data Help Desk, as will three Town Hall presentations. For more information, please visit: http://www.copdess.org/data-fairs/2018-agu-fall-meeting-data-fair/
EDI plans to host a workshop in March 2019 on the use of existing vocabularies in EML annotation (ENVO, EnvThes, LTER Controlled Vocabulary). EDI will work with LTER and the broader community to develop topics for discussion. Watch for future announcements about how you may participate!